Tuesday, May 25, 2010

To write or not to write, that is the question

I recently started writing what in my head has potential to be a fantasy novel. It has potential in that I can see the characters, imagine their stories, and dream of their world. The problem is I only have one chapter. That's right, one chapter. And I have a great idea for a preface, and basically have the story already in my head ready to go. So, what's the issue? Why only one chapter?

There are so many doubts in my head I think they're getting in the way. This started out as a creative outlet, a way for me to do something just for me since I spend so much time "doing" for everyone else. Then came the question in my brain "could this actually be something?" Then J told me he's secretly hoping that it becomes something amazing, that many more people than just my poor, loving husband read it. Now I read other books and wonder if I can even legitimately count myself in the good-enough-to-be-published-writer category.

Meanwhile I tried to keep it a secret, but my doubts were overwhelming me so I told a few folks. Now I have the added pressure of people asking me how I'm doing on my book, asking me about progress, encouraging me to go to writers' seminars, and so on. I didn't want to tell anyone because I didn't want the pressure and expectations that people who know and love you unwittingly put on you when trying to encourage you. And yet, I needed the encouragement...

Along with that I think if I ould just get a job we would be in a better financial position. BUT, if I get a job, then I don't even have time for basic house work, much less creativity. And here I am encouraging teenagers I know to be creative, let their imaginations come outside of their heads, but I can't seem to harness mine and tame it enough to let it come out in any semblance of order.

So, I sit, staring at a blank screen, hoping to get rolling on a preface that has such a presence in my brain it is almost tangible. How do you write when you can't get the words out fast enough to keep up with the story in your head?

No comments:

Post a Comment